Why did you guys have to turn my question about essential safety gear into a diver-silverback-let’s-bang-our-chests scenario? Oh wait… GEAR… is involved.
When women get harassed on the street, or at a bar, or on their walk home from work, do you know what we think? We wonder, am I going to get out of this safely? Am I going to walk away from this? Where are my keys if I need to stab someone in the eye? Are there people on the street? Will they hear me? Which way will I run? Solar Plexus, Instep, Nose, Groin. I’m exaggerating, but only so slightly. Does it disturb you that we think like this? That we have to think like this?
An Australian train-safety PSA. (h/t @JamesKoole)
Team Ford to city staff: Keep your expertise to yourself, or else | #TOpoli
The mayor, a champion of car travel, went further on his Sunday Newstalk 1010 radio show, calling McKeown’s $290,000 salary “an embarrassment,” and promising to “look into it.” His brother, Councillor Doug Ford, calling in from Florida, asked: “Why does (McKeown) still have a job?”
Goddamn those smart people with their facts and evidence and experience, anyway.
So Toronto’s medical officer of health floats an idea about reducing speed limits in order to make the streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists. Can’t have that, of course. Silly doctor — streets are for buses, cars, and trucks.
Forget all that facty, evidency, history stuff that Cityslikr’s citing about carcentrism being a relatively recent thing. (And what kind of condescending, elitist-type word is that, anyway?)
What’s Team Ford’s reaction? Can’t have a discussion about it, it’s just nuts nuts nuts. How much are we paying this guy, anyway? Let’s look into that. It’s an embarrassment. Why does this guy still have a job?
Got that, city staff? Zip it, or … well, shame about Gary Webster, innit.
Perhaps council should take the board of health away from the FoBros. It’s pretty clear that they can’t be trusted not to break things.
- Exposed: the truth behind Toronto’s transit woes | #TOpoli
- Video: This is what a public servant looks like | @kristynwongtam <3 #TOpoli
- Politics, decency, and finding common ground: the restoration of civility | #TOpoli #cdnpoli
- #TeamFord has no subway plan | #TOpoli #transit
- Toronto’s transit future: avoiding the Team Ford Disaster | #TOpoli
- From Grover Norquist to Gary Webster: putting #TeamFord’s #TTC jihad in context | #TOpoli #Toronto
- Another Rob Ford gem, and its bearing on the #TTC | #TOpoli #saveGaryWebster
- Time for a #TransitCity happy dance? | #TOpoli #TeamFord
- #TeamFord and our city: Can no one talk sense to these guys?
A shout-out to BikePirates.com | #bikeTO #CriticalMassToronto
Extra thanks to the guy from Bike Pirates who helped me get all pumped up at the start of last Friday’s Critical Mass. Dude helped out a lot of people that way. You don’t want to be doing a critical mass ride on soft tires.
My bad for not doing this the day of.
(Update: Through the miracle of social media, I’ve identified bike-pump dude as Geoffrey Bercarich, who’s just added me to the Toronto Critical Mass group. And people say Facebook’s a time-suck.)
(Update: Through the miracle of social media, I’ve identified bike-pump dude as Geoffrey Bercarich, who’s just added me to the Toronto Critical Mass group. And people say Facebook’s a time-suck.)Related posts:
- Video from Toronto #CriticalMass ride, July 29, 2011 | #bikeTO
- I always said cyclists were clowns, but this is ridiculous … | #CriticalMass #BikeTO
- Images from #CriticalMass ride, July 29, 2011 | #BikeTO
- ‘I’m driving,’ Ford says after learning he won’t be charged in cellphone incident - CityNews
- Everything that’s wrong with our oil-soaked industrial economy, in one amazing poster | Grist
- On Scofflaw Cyclists & Exemplary Motorists (and other urban myths) | #bikeTO #TOpoli