… Rob Fordism, the idea, endures. It’s an ideology of resentment, bitterness and negativity. It is politics by dumb slogans rather than considered principles.
The role of the self-hating state is to deliver itself to big business. In doing so it creates a tollbooth economy: a system of corporate turnpikes, operated by companies with effective monopolies.
Video: Russell Brand on environmental destruction, income disparity, and why voting isn’t helping.
<strikethrough>He kicks ass.</strikethrough>
Update: My bad for not following celebrity shenanigans more closely, but evidently Russell Brand is a bit of a dick. This complicates things. Being a dick doesn’t invalidate his argument, but by the same token, the validity of his argument doesn’t excuse him being a dick.
And if there is any doubt why such an opinion might be met with hostility, it has to do with privilege. You can write it off as “political correctness” if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They’re so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don’t see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what’s everyone’s fuss all about? That’s the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want.
Almost epic. The context is some pissy dweeb complaining about online gaming, but the dynamics of privilege and power are almost universal. Well done, BioWare.
Just ran across this. More on cycling and winning the door prize.
- Via @yvonnebambrick, working to eliminate the door prize | #TOpoli #bikeTO
- Cycling in Toronto and the toxic effect of consistent anti-bike rhetoric | #TOpoli #BikeTO
- the penalties for motorists who door cyclists …
- It’s not a War on the Car, it’s a war by cars on everyone else | #TOpoli #TOcouncil #bikeTO
It’s not our economic model that requires a complete overhaul. It’s our approach to civic engagement. We’ve given up the greater public good long before circumstances might dictate we would.
Daren on Detroit.
Initially I was very encouraged. Unfortunately, the mainstream media now seems far more interested in what I said when I was 17 or what my girlfriend looks like rather than, say, the largest program of suspicionless surveillance in human history.
In the end, the greatest tragedy of the current right-wing ascendancy is that it’s reduced conservatism to this: automatic, thoughtless, reflexive rejection of anything even slightly different or unfamiliar. It’s defined by its intellectual shallowness, tribalism and lack of curiosity. It’s not even about differences over facts and reason so much as its imperviousness to them, and hostility to the very notion of employing them in rational public discourse. Conservatism is an honourable tradition. It doesn’t deserve to be debased like this.
Every now and then I like to piggyback on Daren’s traffic. I have no shame.
- Nuance, complexity, and why progressives are frequently at a disadvantage | #TOpoli #onpoli #cdnpoli
- @Neville_Park and my conservative delusions | #TOpoli #WiTOpoli
- Why conservatism needs to be rescued | #cdnpoli
- Conservatism: is it a label? Is it a brand? Or maybe just a little bit more? | #TOpoli
- Politics, decency, and finding common ground: the restoration of civility | #TOpoli #cdnpoli
Video: Ossington Dogs - postscript to @SuitManPower @OssingtonCA | #OssingtonLove #TOpoli