In the end, the greatest tragedy of the current right-wing ascendancy is that it’s reduced conservatism to this: automatic, thoughtless, reflexive rejection of anything even slightly different or unfamiliar. It’s defined by its intellectual shallowness, tribalism and lack of curiosity. It’s not even about differences over facts and reason so much as its imperviousness to them, and hostility to the very notion of employing them in rational public discourse. Conservatism is an honourable tradition. It doesn’t deserve to be debased like this.
Every now and then I like to piggyback on Daren’s traffic. I have no shame.
- Nuance, complexity, and why progressives are frequently at a disadvantage | #TOpoli #onpoli #cdnpoli
- @Neville_Park and my conservative delusions | #TOpoli #WiTOpoli
- Why conservatism needs to be rescued | #cdnpoli
- Conservatism: is it a label? Is it a brand? Or maybe just a little bit more? | #TOpoli
- Politics, decency, and finding common ground: the restoration of civility | #TOpoli #cdnpoli