Canadian political scandals and the dangers of false equivalencies | #cdnpoli #robocalls
There’s a big difference between objectivity and / or impartiality on the one hand, and mindless, cringing devotion to “balance” on the other.
The news out of Ottawa sees two competing storylines fighting for prominence: the Vikileaks tweets and the dirty-trick phone calls.
If you’ll permit me one observation: tweeting embarrassing personal details from court records that are publicly available to anyone with elementary research skills is one thing. A sustained and systematic campaign to disenfranchise voters because you think they’ll support your opponents is something else entirely. Straight out of the GOP playbook, in fact.
More prosaically: social media memes are legal. Electoral fraud: probably not.
Just in case it isn’t obvious.
- … there is a particular political movement that has refined misdirection in the form of smear campaigns to an art form
- “Austerity” is a theological construct. It is about punishing the alleged sins of sloth and gluttony. It is about purging through pain
- UPDATED - PMO InfoAlerteBot After Dark: “Foreign radicals threaten further delays” - Inside Politics | via @kady
9 Notes/ Hide
- paronomaniac reblogged this from lizawithazed
- shinykarrablast reblogged this from lizawithazed and added:
- lizawithazed reblogged this from solchrom and added:
- lizawithazed likes this
- christinarobins likes this
- jasonarobins reblogged this from solchrom
- jasonarobins likes this
- quickandtheblue likes this
- solchrom posted this